Are you trying to decide whether to stay in what could become a long pastorate or make a move? Are you already committed to staying in a long pastorate, and want it to be a meaningful and vibrant experience for both you and your congregation? Could you use some help in turning these decisions and aspirations into reality? This event is grounded in the belief that congregations need the perspective, patience and perseverance that come with sustained leadership and that pastors can engage this challenge creatively and faithfully.
What Will You Learn?
* Practices of physical, mental, and spiritual self-care that nourish your life with God and help prevent burnout
* Healthy relationships with your congregation that create partnerships among leaders and avoid unhealthy overdependence on the pastor
* Behaviors for connecting your own spiritual journey with that of your congregation
* Ways to channel conflicts into spiritual growth instead of community erosion
* Approaches to generating courage and vision, clarifying identity and purpose, and articulating core values in ways that engage the emerging generation.
What Will You Take Home from this Learning Retreat?
* An outstanding learning experience led by Alban Consultant Ed White, premier consultant in the field of effective clergy leadership
* All materials you will use during the event
* An extensive, annotated bibliography
* Opportunities for small group conversations with your peers over the course of the three days
* An integrated plan for adopting the spiritual, relational, and professional approaches that will help you and your congregation develop a long and fruitful shared ministry
Who Should Attend?
* Clergy wishing to turn a current assignment into a long pastorate
* Clergy trying to decide if they should move, or remain in their current situation
* Key lay leaders in congregations wishing to support and collaborate in extended pastoral relationships
* Denomination and judicatory staff with clergy assignment and retention responsibilities
What Else Should You Know?
* This event will begin with lunch on Tuesday, April 9, and concludes with lunch on Thursday, April 11. Shared meals are an important part of the learning experience. Please try to arrange your travel in such a way as to be able to participate in these opening and closing meals.
* Scholarship assistance is available for clergy and lay leaders from small congregations. Click here for more information.
Who Is the Leader?
An encouraging presence, Ed White has spent twenty years as a Presbytery Executive working with congregations, followed by twenty years as an Alban consultant working with congregations. That long involvement with congregations and their leaders has led him to have deep convictions about the value of long-term pastorates. He sees a correlation between long pastorates and healthy congregations